Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday!


Democracy in action.....Unalaska style (code for the phone lines are down due to weather so we were unable to connect with our shared precinct in Dillingham and perhaps our caucus won't even count for anything, but hey....we did it!).

48 people in attendance (plus at least 4 or 5 who arrived a few minutes after 6:00 and were denied the opportunity to participate....we wouldn't want to break any rules....Unalaska style as I mentioned). The last caucus here was 8 years ago and there were 4 people in attendance. It's exciting to see people participating and being excited about the process. Plus we're all learning at the same time (since most people actually have very little knowledge about how the whole process works....including me!). The caucus was in the Burma Road Chapel and there were signs for all the candidates around the room.



And Aileen will be happy to know that there were some refreshments (though I didn't contribute any baked goods)


Let the fan out begin.....I was planning to stand by Gravel in the first wave to support his anti-war position, but alas I caved. I tried to move a little slow to see where people were going to stand, but there wasn't much milling around and people went straight to the top 2. I gave a wistful eye to all the the lonely spots and considered standing up for principal, but in the end I must be too sensitive to peer pressure (and standing out like a sore thumb in a group situation). So poor Gravel had a lonely evening. [Too bad the men of the family couldn't participate!]


The vote was 27 for Obama


17 for Clinton


and 2 for Edwards (I didn't know they were standing in Edwards' spot since it just seemed an extension of the Obama group, or I could have at least joined them in solidarity against the masses)


After the second wave and some intense calculations.....

The finals standings were Obama 28, Clinton 18. Let's just hope this gets on the record books!

Update: It counted! Alaska is clearly Obama country. And on the republican side, McCain came in dead last (of those still running). I guess folks around here aren't too pumped about 100 more years in Iraq.

No comments: